I’ve found 6 slick web 2.0 genealogy sites, the fun is deciding on which one to spend my time entering all my family history into. Here’s the sites I’ve found
I’ve entered the most data into geni and itsourtree both seem solid. I haven’t dug into the details of all these sites, but here’s a few things I’d like to see.
- full import/export of gedcom files
- link to photos on other services (flickr,picasa,etc)
- reminders for life events
- search and link public records
- Control information allow control of public/private data
- free 🙂
- good business model or financials, so I know the service will be around for awhile
6 thoughts on “Web 2.0 Genealogy Sites”
Just wanted to say thanks to you for mentioning Kindo !
Thank you for including Geni in your post. In regards to the features you are looking for, we already have most of them. As for the others, we plan to offer them or something similar in the near future. If you have any further questions about Geni, please do not hesitate to contact us. Once again, thank you for the mention.
Hi jayb, that’s a pretty good round up. I’m part of the team that is building Geni , thanks for giving us a try!
To address some of your questions:
1. We currently have full import/export of GEDCOM files
2. We send reminder for birthdays, holidays (such as mother’s day and father’s day), and we’ll start sending anniversaries soon.
3. You can search our public index by selecting ‘All of Geni.com’ in your ‘Search in’ drop down.
4. You’ll find comprehensive privacy controls in your settings.
5. We’re Free!
6. We’re well funded with a great management team, I’m sure we’ll be around for a while!
Hope this helps and have fun building your tree. Let us know if you have any other comments or suggestions.
I’m Christian, part of the itsourtree.com Team. Thanks for giving us a try!
– If you want to upload your GEDCOM file: No problem on our site!
– You can upload your photo albums without any limitations and tag your relatives and friends in the pictures.
– We send reminders for anniversaries and birthdays so that you never miss one!
– If you’re looking for someone: Search our 30,000,000 profile data base.
– In your privacy controls, you can determine who may see or change what.
– We’re free and the features available so far will always be free!
– We recently received a multi-million Euros sum from our well-known investor Hasso Plattner Ventures, apart from other investors. No worries… 😉
Please feel free to ask further questions: email@example.com
With kind regards,
the itsourtree.com Team
Glad to see some of the sites pay attention to their users, I guess I need to explain the gallery and search items more.
I want to be able to link to photos on other photo services. Instead of upload the same photos multiple places.
I want to be able to search public records like (death and marriage records from city and states, not just the site I’m on.
I know I don’t ask for much 🙂
Comments are closed.